Modern Python Complete Practical Guide For Beginners Modules Custom and Prebuild In Depth

By: Thad Mertz
    6 months ago

Python, renowned for its versatility and simplicity, offers a wide array of modules that can significantly enhance your programming experience. These modules can be categorized into two main types: prebuilt modules that come bundled with Python and custom modules created by developers like you. In this blog post, we will explore both types and demonstrate their practical applications with examples, focusing on the datetime and random modules.

Prebuilt Modules: datetime

Introduction to datetime

The datetime module is a powerful tool for handling dates and times in Python. It provides various classes and functions to manipulate and work with dates and times effortlessly. Let's dive into some practical examples:

Example 1: Displaying the Current Date and Time

import datetime

current_datetime = datetime.datetime.now()
    print("Current Date and Time:", current_datetime)

In this example, we import the datetime module and use the `datetime.now()` function to retrieve and display the current date and time.

Example 2: Formatting Dates

import datetime

current_date = datetime.date.today()
    formatted_date = current_date.strftime("%Y-%m-%d")
    print("Formatted Date:", formatted_date)

Here, we extract today's date, and then using the `strftime` method, we format it as per our requirement.

Prebuilt Modules: random

Introduction to random

The random module in Python allows us to generate random numbers and make our programs more dynamic. Let's explore some random module examples:

Example 3: Generating Random Numbers

import random

random_number = random.randint(1, 100)
    print("Random Number between 1 and 100:", random_number)

In this example, we use `randint` to generate a random integer between 1 and 100.

Example 4: Shuffling a List

import random

my_list = [1, 2, 3, 4, 5]
    random.shuffle(my_list)
    print("Shuffled List:", my_list)

Here, we utilize `shuffle` to randomly reorder elements in a list.

Custom Modules

Creating custom modules allows you to encapsulate your code into reusable components. Let's create a simple custom module and demonstrate its usage.

Example 5: Creating a Custom Module

Create a file named `my_math.py` with the following content:

# my_math.py
    def add(a, b):
      return a + b

def subtract(a, b):
      return a - b

Now, let's use our custom module in another script:

import my_math

result_add = my_math.add(5, 3)
    result_subtract = my_math.subtract(10, 4)

print("Result of Addition:", result_add)
    print("Result of Subtraction:", result_subtract)

In this example, we created a custom module `my_math.py` containing functions for addition and subtraction, which we import and use in another script.

Python modules, whether prebuilt or custom, are invaluable tools that streamline your coding process. In this blog post, we explored the datetime and random prebuilt modules, highlighting their functionality with practical examples. Additionally, we created and utilized a custom module to demonstrate the power of encapsulating code into reusable components. By mastering these modules, you can unlock new levels of productivity and efficiency in your Python projects. Happy coding!